Men’s soccer goes 1-2 after home opener

Junior mid-fielder/forward J.D. Garnett applies defensive pressure on a Loras player at a game on Friday, Sept. 16. (Photo by Stefan Carlson)


EC’s men’s soccer team lost their first game at home on Friday, Sept. 16 to the University of Chicago Maroons.

The visiting Maroons (6-0) used the strength of an impressive second half performance to move past the Bluejays (3-1-2) by a final score of 4-1.

Despite a quick pace of play, the game began with a strong display of defense. Both sides dismissed multiple shot at- tempts early on in the contest.

The game remained scoreless until the Bluejays managed to claim the lead when Junior J.D. Garnett scored his first goal of the season in the 35th minute. Garnett figures to be a large part of the Bluejays offense this season.

As the first half continued, the Maroons found the back of the Elmhurst net by way of a David McBroom kick, tying the game at 1-1. The score would stay that way into the intermission.

The second half did not go the Bluejays way. The Elmhurst defense broke down and allowed Chicago to strike quickly as they gained possession of the lead in the 51st minute.

Shortly after that the Maroons struck again when Max Lopez worked his way through the Bluejays’ defense and gave Chicago both the momentum and a 3-1 lead.

The trend continued later on as the Maroon added one more tally in the 68th minute to give themselves an insurmountable 4-1 lead late in the game.

The Maroons held the Bluejays’ offense in check for the better part of the second half through ball control. The Blue- jays seemed to struggle when looking for any kind of rhythm when moving the ball into the attacking zone. A fierce Maroon defense did an impressive job of interrupting any communication between the EC players.

EC attempted four total shots throughout the game, one making it on goal. The Maroons attempted 17 shots with eight of them on goal.


After a tough loss in their home opener, the Bluejays took to the turf at Langhorst Field on Sept. 20 as they battled the Falcons of Concordia University.

Despite another early lead, Bluejays’ efforts to rebound from the home opening loss were halted by Concordia, ultimately losing 2-1. With the loss, EC fell to 3-2-2. Concordia improved their record to 6-1.

The scoring began quickly, as the Bluejays jumped to a first half lead thanks to a goal from forward Didrik Cooper-Seip. The goal marked the first of his young career at EC.

As play continued, the Bluejays’ defense kept the team in front as they held Concordia scoreless through the duration of the first half of play.

Unfortunately, that changed in the second half when the Falcons netted a goal at the 52nd minute. This tied the score at 1-1.

In the 56th minute, Bluejay’s Midfielder Matt McNamara received a red card from Referee Andy Maratto’s squad. The ejection forced EC to play a man down for the rest of the game and gave the Falcons a massive advantage.

Despite the unfortunate situation, the Bluejays turned away 10 consecutive shots before the Falcons Iven Hernandez put Concordia ahead in the 71st minute, putting the falcons ahead 2-1.

The remainder of the second half went the Falcons way as they fired off 18 shot attempts against the Bluejays five.

In total, the Falcons attempted 23 shots in this contest, with nine on goal. The Bluejays countered with nine shots, three on goal. The leader for the Bluejays was junior Alec Gnass. The Michigan native matched his season high with three shots attempted and one shot on goal. Other strong contributors were Lucas Weatherby with his two shot attempts and goalie Nick

King, who made seven saves.


After a pair of home losses set the EC men’s soccer team back, the team earned a 3-0 shutout victory on the road against the Illinois Institute of Technology Scarlet Hawks on Sept. 23.

EC scored three goals and capitalized on strong defense on the path to a victory. The win improves the Bluejay’s season record to 4-2-2.

The scoring began with sophomore forward Sam Johnson. After receiving a pass from Lucas Wetherby, Johnson put the Bluejays ahead 1-0 with his first goal of the season in the 18th minute.

That score held into the second half of play, at which point Johnson tallied his second goal of the game after an assist from J.D. Garnett. With two goals, Sam Johnson equaled his season total from last year.

In the 55th minute, Junior Andrew Hicks continued the offensive push as he scored his second goal of the season.

The EC defense stifled the Scarlett Hawks all night long, leading to a shutout performance, the 5th of the season for the Bluejays.

In total, the Bluejays attempted 13 shots with nine on goal. Meanwhile the Scarlett Hawks could only muster up four shots with none of them reaching goal.

Other players of note in this contest were J.D. Garnett and Zach Clements, with two shots a piece. The defense as a whole played a strong game, as goalie Nick King was not forced to record a single save.

Langhorst Field will be the setting for the next EC Men’s soccer game, as the Simpson College Storm visit on Monday, Sept. 26 at 6:30 p.m. for a non-conference match-up.

Simpson College is 5-2-1 on the season, riding a two game winning streak. They should prove to be a challenge for the Bluejays, as the Storm offense is averaging 16.9 shots per game on the season with 18 goals scored.